Summer Fruit Oatmeal Crumble Recipe
Serves 4 to 6
For the filling:
- 1 small lemon
- 2 1/2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- Fruit (any fruit in season or frozen and thawed):
- 1 pound medium strawberries, halved
- 1 1/2 pounds peaches, pitted and sliced
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar or honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 stick unsalted butter, chilled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (you can also substitute ¾ c oil for a non-dairy crust)
1. Preheat the oven at 350 degrees.
2. For the filling: In a bowl, mix together the lemon juice and 2 ½ tsp flour until smooth. Add the strawberries, peaches and brown sugar. Gently toss until the fruit is coated. Pour the fruit mixture into a sprayed pan.
3. For the topping: In a bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
Add the butter. Mix with hands until the butter is pea sized. Sprinkle the mixture over the filling and bake for 40 to 45 minutes until the filling is bubbling and the top is light golden. Cool the crumble for 5 minutes.
4. And voila! Spoon the warm crumble into bowls and enjoy.